A-21 Program for victims of human traffiking
-- works to help victims of human traffiking find hope and help to begin their journey toward recovery and new life.
WHAT WE ARE DOING TO HELP:
1. We have made bed quilts for all the individual beds at an undisclosed location. You can look at some of our quilts from the Project A-21 tab to the left.
2. We will on an ongoing basis be making throw-sized quilts that will be given to each woman who passes through the A-21 program marking a new beginning for her life journey. Each throw will contain a special message of hope in the native language of the woman receiving the gift.
3. In an effort to encourage these women to use their hands and their spare time to make a difference in someone else's life, I will be teaching them to sew quilt bindings onto the quilts we are making for other causes. This is a great way to build meaningful relationships and be a positive force in their lives through quilting.
-- english link that will help you learn about the
A-21 link greek
-- link in greek language
"Quilting With a Purpose" Project
The quilting with a purpose project was originanlly initiated as a challenge to members of the facebook group, "quilters of greece united," created by Kristine Pappas. The goal was to make 50 baby-sized quilts for orphanages in Thessaloniki and Katarini, Greece for Christmas 2010. This project began in September of 2010 and our deadline date for completion was December 15. This project began with a small group of Greek women who quilt together weekly in Thessaloniki, Greece but has now grown into an international effort. Quilters from all over the world have discovered through quilting blogs and word of mouth that they can also join our team from their own locations. For more information on the orphanages we support with our gifts see the links and photos to the right.
In January, 2011 we willl launch our next project, "Quilting it Forward." You can read about the full details of this mission on the Plagiari Project Tab on the left.
HOW YOU CAN JOIN OUR EFFORT
1. Make a baby-sized, lap-sized, or throw-sized quilt top (no specific measurements are required). Because shipping to Greece is so expensive it is easier to just sent your pieced top to us and we will finish it with batting, backing, and binding from our studio here. If you're sending from America you can send up to 9 yards of fabric in a flat rate postal envelope for about $13.95.
2. If you know someone else who knows how to quilt join in with them and send your tops together and share the postage.
3. Tell your local quilt guild about our projects and make a quilt top together or encourage the individual members to send tops for our babies and the others we serve.
4. We use only donated fabrics for our projects because 100% cotton quilting fabric is not available in Greece at this time. If you want to put your scraps to good use, send them to:
K. Palalma 15
Άγιος Στυλιανός Orphanage
Benjamin Orphan Society